Professional Development and
Successful schools require faculty who are able to perform at optimum levels and who have the knowledge, skills, and motivation to meet the complex challenges of urban special education. Research and best practice indicate that to achieve continuous improvement, district leaders must take the responsibility for providing quality professional development to teachers and other school staff.
- Professional Development
- The Collaborative offers high-quality professional development based on solid research, with an emphasis on innovative strategies and techniques that can be implemented immediately. Our extensive network of qualified consultants are committed to aligning content training with the development of professional learning communities that foster collaboration and learning among colleagues.
- Technical Assistance and Consultation
- The Collaborative provides individualized assistance to district administration in a variety of forms. Our staff and extensive network of affiliates have worked extensively with large and small urban districts on projects aimed at improving the quality of service to children with disabilities.
- Click Here For Further Information
Meeting Your District Needs
The Collaborative staff is committed to working closely with school leaders to customize a model of professional development and technical assistance that meets the needs and budgets of individual school districts. Some examples of what our professional development might look like in a district include:
- Long-term initiatives at the school and/or district level
- On-site program planning
- Development of Professional Learning Communities
- Topical sequential workshops
- Comprehensive program evaluation
- Leadership development programs for administrators
- Individualized technical assistance
The Collaborative is committed to providing professional development and technical assistance that is:
- High quality
- Research-based and outcome-driven
- Supportive of inclusive practices
- Culturally responsive
- Capacity building
- Proven to be effective in urban schools
- Aligned with the National Council of Staff Development's standards for effective practices in adult learning